• Cardiac Observation
• Emergency Care Center
• Medical/Surgical Intensive Care
• Observation Care Center
You are eligible to apply if:
• You will be entering your final semester of nursing school
(i.e., Spring 2017 graduates are eligible for the Spring 2017 cohort, and Winter 2017 graduates are eligible for the Winter 2017 cohort. Please note we do not offer a cohort for Summer graduates at this time.)
• You are ranked in the top 15% of your class
• 500-word essay on Professionalism in Nursing
• 2 faculty recommendations with verification of class rank
• 2 peer recommendations
We will begin accepting applications for our Spring 2018 cohort (for students graduating in Spring 2018) in the winter. Fill out and submit our Nurse Extern Program interest form to talk with a recruiter about our application process.
Participants will be paid an hourly salary; however, the Nurse Extern is a PRN position and not eligible for benefits.
Schools of nursing may approve this program as a nursing elective for college credit, but it is the responsibility of the student to receive approval from his or her school and complete the necessary paperwork to obtain academic credit.
NOTE: You will be required to work alongside your dedicated preceptor.
This may include shifts during nights, weekends and holidays as necessary.
• Attend lecture series and skills labs 2x/week (8-hour days) (December–January)
• Work two 12-hour shifts/week on unit with your dedicated preceptor (December–January)
• Commit to working one 12-hour shift/week on unit during the semester with your dedicated preceptor (January–May)
• Attend lecture series and skills labs 2x/week (8-hour days) (June–July)
• Work two 12-hour shifts/week on unit with your dedicated preceptor (June–July)
• Commit to working one 12-hour shift/week on unit during the semester with your dedicated preceptor (August–December)
If you successfully complete our Nurse Extern Program and are offered a position, you will be required to sign a commitment to work a minimum of 24 months (full-time status) at CHRISTUS® Trinity Mother Frances Health System as a Registered Nurse. If you do not meet this work obligation, you will be required to reimburse CHRISTUS Trinity Mother Frances Health System $2,000 as partial consideration for this development opportunity.
Still have questions? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.